Saturday, June 4, 2011

St. Patrick's Cathedral, Strange things and the best thing about Ireland thus far...

On Friday we had a little bit of a late start because we had forgotten to bring an alarm with us. So we bought a small 2 euro clock from a little store and other than it wakes us up 20 minutes after we set it for.  So we got going and out the door at about 10 instead of 9:30 like we wanted but no big deal.

We’ve been riding on this Hop-On, Hop-Off bus that runs the city circuit all day and you pay 12 Euros for 48 hours of unlimited riding.  It was really helpful because we originally weren’t going to go to St. Patrick’s Cathedral but it ended up being a great adventure to head on for Day 3.












            There is no way in words or in pictures to explain the experience within the Cathedral.  There’s a choir singing and candles and incense smell.  The sun comes shining in the windows and through the stained glass and it’s the most amazing thing ever.  If there was ever a time I come to god it’s in a place like that but I can also see why the protestant revolution happened.  A church isn’t supposed to be worshipped and a lot of money went into building that church and creating amazing things in that church.  Granted not the most opulent Catholic Church but there is still pieces which show the significant wealth of the church.  The choir was singing O’Sinners when I lit a candle and said a prayer for Grandpa Darold, Grandmas Keeler and Purple and to keep Steven safe and far from harm.  Grandpa Darold probably wouldn’t mind that I prayed for him in a Catholic Church but it also made me giggle just a bit inside.


After we had lunch we got back on our bus tour thing and went to Phoenix park where we sat out in the sun for a couple of hours and I got in about a mile run.  It wasn’t much of a run but it was also about 90 degrees and midday so I didn’t want to push it.  We didn’t really wander around to all the monuments in Phoenix park but it was a fun relaxing time none the less.

On the way out of the park some poor schmuck was trying to rollerblade for the first time with his girlfriend and the bus driver made a couple of funny comments and then the girlfriend noticed us and started hysterically laughing and the poor guy was trying really hard but just couldn’t make it up this one small hill. There is a memorial park where men were hung because they were fighting for Irish freedom in the 1700s that is next to a very busy rode and as we were sitting there in rush hour traffic the driver and about half the bus noticed a couple in the middle of the park.  My first reaction was “Oh they look like they are having sex but that can’t be. Oh… Oh… Holy crap! They are having sex in the middle of the day in the middle of a wide open park space with another couple of people sitting like 5 yards from them and next to a very busy rode!” It was really uncomfortable because there’s a light right there and it was really busy so only about one or two cars went through at a time so we sat there trying not to watch but not able to look away for long periods of time because that was the side of the bus we were sitting on.  MOST AWKWARD SEX EVER!!

As an fyi, every site I looked at and book I read said, "Don't get a rolling suitcase you'll regret it." B.S. I love my backpack and it's working out well but I needed a small rolling suitcase once we got here because trying to do day backpack and actual travel backpack was a horrible idea.  Rick Steves Lies.

We went shopping later and the only thing either of us bought is my favorite thing from the entire trip.  I bought it for my cousin's little boy Alex who is the sweetest cutest thing on the planet.  I'm hoping he likes it because otherwise I don't know what I'd do with it and I'm so excited about it I think I'll be devastated if he isn't. 


Some day I will have children to buy adorable things like this soccer uniform for.  



No comments:

Post a Comment